Bude Sea Pool was built in the 1930s to provide a safe environment for swimming for the people of Bude. This semi-natural pool, measuring 91m long by 45m wide, was created under the curve of the cliffs in a conservation area. It provides the unique experience of being in or on the sea, close to the ferocity of the Atlantic Ocean, but sheltered from its extreme effects.
- Local authority funding withdrawn – 2010
- Bude Sea Pool threatened with demolition – 2010
- Friends Of Bude Sea Pool Charity Formed – 2011
- FoBSP takes on management of Bude Sea Pool – 2012
- Emergency repairs to steps completed – 2012
- Beach huts (phase 1) built and leased – 2012
- Damaged section of wall repaired – 2013
- 30,000 tonnes of sand/rocks removed
- New sluice gate and bridge installed – 2013
- Electricity and mains water connected – 2013
- Sea wall repair (phase 1) completed – 2014
- Improved walkway through Coach Rock – 2014
- New stainless steel railings, donated by Stainless Studio Ltd – 2014
- Sea wall repair (phase 2) completed – 2015
- Final phase beach huts completed (personal donation) – 2015
- Access steps renewed – 2015
- Approval granted for the Hub – 2015
- Hub opened August 2016
- Platform renewed 2016
- North Section Pool wall repaired 2017
- Installed new and repaired existing handrails 2018
- Repaired and extended balustrade 2018
- Repointed and replaced concrete walkway 2018
Cost of refurbishments and improvements so far £390,000
All public funding for Bude Sea Pool was withdrawn in 2010. The Friends of Bude Sea Pool fought a vigorous campaign in 2011 to keep the pool open for the season, and took on its management in 2012. We have since made much-needed repairs and continue to invest in new facilities to secure Bude Sea Pool for future generations.
Focal Point for Bude
Bude Sea Pool is a focal point for the coastline in Bude and is now used for much more than swimming. If you go down to the Pool today, chances are you’ll see endurance trainers, triathletes, kayakers, surf training and lifesaving, beach hut enthusiasts and sunbathers all making the most of this unique amenity. Why not check out what our visitors say about us on TripAdvisor?
There really is something for everyone at Bude Sea Pool, and the Friends of Bude Sea Pool are constantly improving the facilities on offer and the safety of everyone who visits.
Money Raised Every Year
We have to raise in excess of £40,000 every year just to keep Bude Sea Pool open and free of charge for everyone, so we rely on the generosity of our supporters and sponsors, not just in Bude but all over the world.
There are lots of ways you can support Bude Sea Pool. Check out how you can get involved, or see how to become a Business Sponsor.